ESSENTIALS OF STEPFAMILY COACHING
August 7, 14, and 21 from 11 – 1 PM PST (2 – 4 EST)
Karen Bonnell, MS and Anne Lucas, LMHC
ZOOM Video Training
Please join us in a high-paced, three-part series that will prepare you to understand the underlying complexities of working with stepfamilies. Anne and Karen will skillfully guide you through the key considerations in working with stepfamilies – whether smooth sailing or struggling with adjustment post-decree/post recoupling. We will keep children front and center as we discuss the five challenges of stepfamily – developmental considerations from little ones to adults as well as when a co-parent has started their new relationship as an affair or when a co-parent has died. This training is for mental health and legal professionals. Recommended reading: “The Stepfamily Handbook” by Bonnell & Papernow.
Session I: From One Home to Two Homes to Stepfamily
- Families don’t “blend”… stepping into stepfamily
- Original family structure – next time family reality
- Children are challenged by losses, loyalty binds and change
- Growth and development implications for adjusting to stepfamily
Session II: From Parenting to Co-Parenting to Step-Parenting
- Insiders and outsiders … the nature of the beast
- The psychodynamic strain on the intimate partnership
- Secrets to successful discipline in stepfamily
- “But, this is my house, too”
Session III: From Co-Parents to a Skillful Parenting Coalition
- Co-parents are part of the stepfamily
- Culture: the invisible influence that results in the big “Ooops”
- Affairs delay adjustment
- Gray re-couplers … what’s adult children have to do with it?
- When a co-parent is deceased
Please call Cassie at 425-443-4795 or email her at email@example.com and provide your name & phone number. Payment through PayPal using Karen’s email: Karen@coachmediateconsult.com. Continuing education for mental health and legal professionals pending.